more people use the internet to find
the best deals to buy merchandise, they
have also unfortunately fallen prey to
internet predators. These predators use
classified ad websites to lure potential
buyers/sellers to locations
. Once they
, victims are robbed of their money
or merchandise. These predators also use
other internet scams to take your money
Here are safety tips to prevent you from
falling victim to these internet predators:
SCAM AND FRAUD PREVENTION:
- Deal locally; Avoid long distance
or overseas transactions.
- Never wire funds via money
transfer services/money wire
- anyone who asks you
to do so is a scammer.
- Never send money to a P.O. Boxaddress
- Beware of Counterfeit cashier
checks & money orders
will cash them and then hold you
responsible when the fraud is
discovered weeks later.
- Never give out financial
information (bank account
number, social security number,
credit card number, etc.).
- Avoid deals involving shipping
or escrow services and know that
only a scammer will
"guarantee" your transaction.
- Counterfeit (knockoffs) & stolen
merchandise are commonly sold
via the internet.
INTERNET CRIME SCHEMES
- Counterfeit Cashier's Check
- Credit Card Fraud
- Debt Elimination
- Employment/Business Opportunities
- Escrow Services Fraud
- Identity Theft
- Internet Extortion
- Investment Fraud
- Nigerian Letter or "419"
- Third Party Receiver of Funds
- Avoid personal meetings for
- Avoid locations that you are
- Agree to meet in a public place
with heavy pedestrian traffic
- Avoid going alone
- Tell someone where you’re going
and when you should be back.
- Once at the location, survey the
area before you meet. If things
don’t “look or feel” right then
leave. Trust your instincts!
- Once at the location don’t agree
to go to another location, it
could be a setup.